My son turned four two weeks ago. We celebrated hard: custom cake, balloons everywhere, a big party, goodie bags and even homemade slime for all the kids. Throughout the celebrations I was a bit emotional. I want more time. I want more time when he is little, while he wants hugs, a time in which he sees me as his best friend. I am all too aware that I will wake up one day and he will be a teenager that is too cool to color with me after school. It’s amazing how time passes so quickly, and nothing illustrates this unwelcomed fact as much as watching your child grow from a helpless, tiny infant into a full-fledged and opinionated big boy overnight.
There is nothing any of us can do about the passage of time, the growth of our adorable kids, and our own eventual passing. But, we can maximize the time we have now. If we are present and mindful in our lives, as can make the most of these precious moments and have little regrets in the future. My worst fear is to realize, 5-10-20 years from now that I wasn’t present and mindful of the beauty around me when I had the chance.
Here are 10 quotes to remind all of us to slow down and enjoy the amazing life and experiences we have, every day. I hope you find them as helpful as I do:
1. “The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” – James Taylor
2. “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
3. “If you go around being afraid, you’re never going to enjoy life. You have only one chance, so you’ve got to have fun.” – Lindsey Vonn
4. “I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.” – Diane Ackerman
5. “Learn to enjoy every minute of your life. Be happy now. Don’t wait for something outside of yourself to make you happy in the future. Think how really precious is the time you have to spend, whether it’s at work or with your family. Every minute should be enjoyed and savored.” – Earl Nightingale
6. “Slow down and enjoy life. It’s not only the scenery you miss by going too fast – you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.” – Eddie Cantor
7. “My belief is that we were put into this world of wonders and beauty with a special ability to appreciate them, in some cases to have the fun of taking a hand in developing them, and also in being able to help other people instead of overreaching them and, through it all, to enjoy life – that is, to be happy.” – Robert Baden-Powell
8. “I enjoy life when things are happening. I don’t care if it’s good things or bad things. That means you’re alive.” – Joan Rivers
9. “You aren’t your work, your accomplishments, your possessions, your home, your family… your anything. You’re a creation of your Source, dressed in a physical human body intended to experience and enjoy life on Earth.” – Wayne Dwyer
10. “To my young friends out there: Life can be great, but not when you can’t see it. So, open your eyes to life: to see it in the vivid colors that God gave us as a precious gift to His children, to enjoy life to the fullest, and to make it count. Say yes to your life.” – Nancy Reagan